Welcome to 5th grade Reading Class!
I am excited to have your child in my class. This year we will be reading a lot during class and students will be expected to read a lot (15-20 minutes/5 days a week) at home. One of my primary goals is to act as a facilitator in guiding your child to a book that is the "right" book for him/her which means a book he enjoys reading. My hope is that your child might "get lost" in a book as reading should be an enjoyable experience. I truly believe that the best way to get better at reading is to read more and talk about what is read.
Tips to help your child become an independent and hopefully a lifelong reader:
1. Establish a set time for reading that works with your schedule.
2. Encourage your child to share what he/she is reading. Ask questions and show an interest in a book. Sometimes, you may even want to read the book as well.
3. Visit the local library regularly to sign out books of interest.
4. Many children of this age still enjoy being read to so you might take turns reading a book together. You might read a book of your own choosing at the same time your child is reading to set an example.
5. Talk about reading in a positive way as something that can enrich a person's life.
Please contact me with any questions, concerns, or ways that I can better help your child to be successful by emailing, calling and leaving a message, or setting up a time to meet.